If you’re feeling lost in life:
- Remember that it’s ok to feel that way
- Decide what you want to do, and who you want to be
- Think about how you get there
- Be patient and enjoy the journey
- Be generous – Give and it will be given back to you
- Remember that there will always be ups and down
So first, remember: It’s ok to feel lost. I remember starting to plan out my life when I was 23, got my life together, made a commitment to improve myself. I’m in my 30’s now, have an amazing wife, a great career…successful by my own standards at least. But I still have so much more I want to do. So I still feel lost sometimes.
I think it’s a common feeling for anyone wanting to move life forward – for anyone who asks “What’s next?”. Answering that question, finding out what’s next for you, is hard. So have compassion on yourself. The process takes time, so be patient.
Decide what you want to do, and who you want to be
I’d ask yourself a couple simple questions, and take your time trying to answer them:
- What do you want? What do you want to do? Who do you want to be? So many people don’t know what they want. First step to not feeling lost – know where you’re going.
- How do you get there? What skills, habits, attitudes, beliefs do you need to get what you want?
Think through these questions, write about them, write down what goals you decide on, start a to-do list of things you need to accomplish your goals. Whatever works for you.
Be patient and generous
Be sure to treat people with love and respect during the process. Too many people think the ends justify the means. Just because you have big, clear goals doesn’t mean you have to tear people down to get there. Just the opposite, actually. You need people. No “self-made” man or woman got there on their own, no matter how much they’d like to think so.
Also, be sure to enjoy the journey. Don’t be so quick to move forward that you sabotage the present. Be grateful for where you are and for what you already have. Be a good steward of what you have, and you will be given more.
Small steps add up
The key is to know where you’re going and how to get there, and get the ball rolling. Start now. Small steps. A small step is still moving forward. And there’s few better feelings than knowing you’re moving forward toward something you truly want in life.
P.S. – Just a reminder. When you feel a sense of progress and forward motion, it will feel great. Don’t feel defeated if and when you feel lost again. It will inevitably happen if you keep wanting to move life forward.